Welcome to an exciting new series of travel posts that will take you on a captivating journey through the southern part of India in the year 2023. I would like to name “On the Roads Again” for this South Indian travel series. These adventures throughout the trip took me through breathtaking landscapes, vibrant cultures, and a myriad of experiences.
This road trip adventure unfolds through a series of posts, each revealing a piece of exciting information that will keep you engaged and eager for the next instalment.
In this initial post, let us delve into the essence of road trips, from travel experiences and safety considerations to the sheer feel-good factor it brings, especially for city-life dwellers.
We’ll explore the importance of road trip safety, whether you’re travelling by car or bike, providing insights on how to ensure a secure and enjoyable journey on the open road.
List of Contents
Planning for the Trip:
Initially, we were planning a trip for a long time but we ended up cancelling it (all the time). A Friends trip, obviously you would have heard about the cancellations a lot. Planning, looking for stays and most importantly pulling it off as a road trip was the toughest job for all of us.
If you had followed my earlier posts, you would have been aware of the fact that Friends are my family. So this is a family trip for me.
At last, the plan was kicked off when there was an occasion for our first Small family member. We were so ready to be On the Roads Again while also planning it as a trip through the southern parts. You might wonder what?, but we planned it as a trip because the venue for the occasion was Kanyakumari.
Thanks to my family members for planning this trip. From the laid-back beaches of Varkala to the bustling streets of Madurai, the journey was nothing short of exhilarating.
Places we Visited:
Before we start the series, I feel it’s important to share the places that we are going to see in this Travel series “On the Roads Again”. The place covers parts of Tamil Nadu and Kerala. So if you are planning for a family getaway, then try choosing one from the below list for its unique nature and experiences. The trip started from,
A Tip of advice – Before Hitting the roads:
We started our trip at night which I might not recommend because of the safety concerns. Road trips are not so safe while you travel at night, even when you are in a car. So, try to start early in the morning, but if you wish to travel by night, it is your wish.
Consider these essential safety points to keep in mind when driving a car or riding a bike at night.
For Car Travel:
- Make sure all your car’s lights (headlights, taillights, and indicators) are in working order. Keep your headlights on low beams when encountering oncoming traffic to avoid blinding other drivers.
- Ensure your windshield and mirrors are clean and free of streaks or smudges to maintain optimal visibility.
- Plan your journey with regular rest stops to combat fatigue. Night driving can be more tiring, so rest breaks are crucial for staying alert. But here we were driving continuously over the night. (Thanks to the fun talks and Scary stories which kept us awake).
- Night-time driving conditions can be less predictable, so stick to the speed limit and adjust your speed based on road and weather conditions.
- Keep distractions, such as mobile phones and in-car entertainment, to a minimum. Distractions can lead to delayed reaction times.
For Bike Travel:
- Wear reflective and high-visibility gear, including jackets, helmets and gloves. This makes you more visible to other road users. (Very Important).
- Ensure that your bike’s headlight, taillight, and turn signals are functioning correctly. Carry spare bulbs and fuses, just in case.
- Nighttime riding can be mentally taxing. Ensure you’re well-rested before your journey and take breaks when necessary.
- Be cautious of uneven road surfaces, potholes, and debris that can be more challenging to spot in the dark.
- Reduce your speed at night, especially on unfamiliar or winding roads. Night-time conditions can present unexpected challenges.
- One of the key safety considerations during night travel is to resist the urge to stop at unfamiliar or isolated locations.
To both those who travel by car and bike make sure, whenever you need to take a break, choose locations that are well-travelled and have some level of security to minimize any potential safety concerns.
Road trips for City-life dwellers:
As a person who has travelled on road trips alone and with friends, I would like to say that road trips hold a unique allure for those seeking adventure and a break from the routine of everyday life.
Embarking on a road trip with friends is like a breath of fresh air for city-dwellers seeking an escape from the hustle and bustle. As I was on the roads again, with our closest companions, a wave of excitement and freedom washed over me.
The city’s noise and chaos give way to the serenity of scenic landscapes, the laughter of friends and the promise of new adventures around every bend.
This whole trip was not just about reaching a destination, they are about the bonds we strengthened, the memories we created and the joy of rediscovering the simple pleasures of life.
Two Cars, Friends, Music and Fun what more can we expect? when we were On the Roads Again…
On every series that gets released, the links for this series will be added to this post. Consider it as a Cornerstone content.
So, fasten your seatbelts, and let’s set off on this road trip adventure, where every post holds a new and thrilling surprise.
Like this Post? Do share it with your friends
Continue reading my posts on-