WordPress.com Vs wordpress.org. What is what? and what’s the best?. Let us see about it in detail in this post.
WordPress.com belongs to Automattic (that one big company which also owns Jetpack and WooCommerce), But WordPress.org doesn’t belong to anybody. It’s an Open-source project. The question that has been asked by many are which is the best?. what are the pro’s and con’s of WordPress.com and the WordPress.org?. Let me tell you!!!
It actually depends on your purpose. If you are a blogger and you are trying to start a blog for free then wordpress.com is the one I suggest. But if you are someone who is planning to start a business site then I would recommend using WordPress.org.
WordPress.com is the place for blogger’s who try to start a blog or free. You don’t have to care about the hosting because WordPress takes care of everything from hosting to regular backup’s. They take regular backup’s only on paid plans (Business and above). There are some beautiful themes available for free and you can choose one with ease. All you need is an idea and the content on which you are going to post.
WordPress.com does come with free and also paid plans. You would be given a random, free domain name. If you are in need of a custom Domain name then it would cost you some dollars. If you have a custom Domain name then you could also use that in the place. To those who are not so familiar with What’s a domain name? It’s the unique name assigned to your website or in other words URL.
WordPress.com also comes with some additional features with Different plans.
You can see the differences between the plans.
Pros of WordPress.com:
- If you are planning to start a website at zero cost this would be a perfect choice for you.
- WordPress.com gives you up to 3GB of online cloud storage and by reaching the full storage you would have to upgrade to a premium or personal plan.
- You need not get worried about the hosting.
- There would be no backup issue’s if you are having a Business and above plans.
Con’s Of WordPress.com:
- Sites created on WordPress.com would display a powered by wordpress.com link, which could be removed through premium, business plan.
- They can delete your site at any time if there is a violation in terms and conditions.
- Free plan users could use only a limited amount of themes.
- They could run ad’s in your site and you can remove them only if you have a paid business or premium plan.
WordPress.com has its own advantage and it’s flaws. If you just wish to start a blog (maybe a personal blog) to share your idea’s this could help you but not with so many resources. WordPress.com would ask you to pay more if you wish to use it’s additional feature’s.
Site’s that are created using wordpress.com could be limited to the usage of free theme’s. User’s on wordpress.com would not be able to run ad’s to earn money from their sites. But wordpress.com is a Great platform for blogger’s who wish to share their thought’s and ideas. There are so many supporter’s who would help you in creating content and knowledge. You could share about anything like Photography, Music, Film-making, Travel, etc. WordPress.com could remain limited even if you have the Personal, Premium plans.
WordPress.org is the best Website creation tool that you would come across the globe. It gives you the full freedom to design and make your own customised website. Through this tool, you can bring in different paid and customised theme’s that suit’s your idea. WordPress.org lets you take full control of your website. All you need is a Domain and a Hosting provider(to host your website in the cloud). You can decide what should be our domain name and you could also get a hosting service starting from 3.95$/month. There are lots of hosting provider’s out there and you could choose one to host your site. The below images are from Bluehost.
WordPress.org allows us to install paid and free plugins which are used to optimize the look and feel of our website. As I said earlier, It all depends on the user’s purpose. If you are starting a business site or an e-commerce site or a personal blog on your own then I recommend WordPress.org. There is a list of top companies and e-commerce website’s that are using WordPress.org. If somebody asks me which is the best between WordPress.com vs WordPress.org, then my answer would be WordPress.org. All right let us see some pros and con’s of WordPress.org.
Pros of WordPress.org:
- The site is all fully controlled by yourself.
- It’s free and easy to use.
- You can run your own ad’s and make some revenue.
- User’s could create payment gateways to make payments.
- There is plenty of plugin’s and theme’s that can be used to change the look of the website.
- You own every information and data.
Con’s of WordPress.org:
- You own the site so, you are in control of taking regular back-ups of your site. To make your process an easy one there are plenty of plugins available for free to let you take regular backup.
- The hosting cost may be a little bit higher for a starter.
- The updates are to be done by yourself or else the platform would update itself in a certain period.
- It could be hard for a beginner to understand the basics to make a wordpress.org website.
WordPress.org is a better platform compared to wordpress.com to design your own custom website. It could be easy and also a little bit expensive when you are a starter. The cost varies for each type of blog you are trying to design. It may cost you in the following ways like Themes, Plugins, Template’s etc and also the cost may vary for (portfolio site’s, E-commerce site, Magazine site’s, Gaming site, or a Business site). It’s better to make a decision on choosing the purpose of the site prior selection between wordpress.org and wordpress.com.
WordPress.com Vs WordPress.org:
Let me give you a comparison between wordpress.com vs wordpress.org. If you are a personal blogger who wishes to start your own blog at zero cost, then WordPress.com would be a great platform for you. If you are starting a business site, e-commerce site or a start-up who wish to start a website, then the self-hosted wordpress.org is the best platform. Hosting storage would be less if you opt-in for wordpress.com. The basic storage that is offered for the free account is around 3 GB while comparing to WordPress.org its unlimited with the amount of storage could be decided by ourselves.
But yes starting from the Site backup’s till maintenance you should be aware of the things around the website if you opt-in for WordPress.org. It’s your site so don’t expect a third party to take care of those. Though there is a lot of plugins available for the maintenance and other function’s, you should know about it. The updates are quite easy as everything would be given to you in your fingertips and with a click of a button in wordpress.org. You have all the Customising option’s in the wordpress.com whereas there are many better-customising features in wordpress.org.
The only difference between wordpress.com and wordpress.org is who is hosting your Website. I recommend the wordpress.org in case you are planning to start a business. Here is a Thumbs up👍 for everyone who is starting a blog sooner or in the near future. Do you have Confusion in starting a blog?. Wait for my next post!!!. Do Sign up to my blog so, u won’t miss an update.
Continue reading my posts on-
- How to Build Spam-Free WordPress Contact Forms
- How to Start a Blog? Doesn’t know where to start?
- WordPress.com Vs WordPress.org
- What’s Artificial Intelligence?
- My Dubai Travel blog-Best places to visit in Dubai
- Chennai to Bangalore Road Trip
Like this Post? Do share it with your friends